Visits and walks 2012
In Part 2 of our exploration of the Boot and Shoe Quarter we saw the premises (right) of J & J Mann, boot & shoe manufacturer from 1890 to 1940. The building in front of us, dating from the 1890s, was used by a variety of manufacturers over the years. Both now converted to apartments.
This F-shaped building was bult c1892 by a Mr Dyer, a currier, but used by a range of shoe and leather companies.
A painted sign seen on a building constructed in 1885 and used by shoe and leather trades until the early 20th century.
Detail seen on brickwork on a building in Clare Street: Whitwick Colliery Brick Works, Coalville.
On one walk the route, and remains, of the Old Oxford Canal were walked. Turnover bridge No 95 over the Oxford Canal near Braunston.
The old track bed of the LNWR Weedon-Leamington railway line; in the background can be seen the bridge carrying the Great Central railway.
The closed Church of St Peter in the deserted medieval village of Wolfhampcote.
The two bridges where the Grand Union Canal joins the Oxford Canal at Braunston.
The furnace at Moira, Derbyshire, built c.1805 was in blast for two short periods: 1806-07 and 1810-11. During the latter operation the furnace was damaged beyond repair. Perhaps the best preserved blast furnace of its era - coke not charcoal fuelled; steam-driven blast not water-powered; and pre hot-blast development.
Alongside the canal can be seen this marker post showing the seams worked with their respective depths.
Burton Union set: Marston's Pedigree™ is the only beer still brewed in wood, using the unique Burton Unions.
Double rows of large wooden casks are mounted on a frame, with a long trough running above. There are usually 24 union casks in a Burton Union set. Each cask can hold around 150 gallons.
The special yeast used in the process does not separate easily from the beer. In a Union, the yeast is trapped in the trough and is easily recovered for the next brew.
The former mill at Cogenhoe spanning the River Nene.
The river was canalised to the north of the village and provides the only navigable route.
One of the many old farm buildings to be seen in the village.
The Carpetbaggers Museum, Harrington is housed in the Group Operations building. The site was home to the 801st/492nd Bombardment Group of the USAF. In conjunction with the SOE, they dropped agents, weapons and supplies behind enemy lines during the closing stages of WWII.
Members discussing the design of a radial aircraft engine.
Family owned and operated, Scotts of Thrapston manufacture quality timber products - buildings for the home and garden, stables and equestrian buildings and products for the construction industry.
Although employing traditional craft skills, modern power tools provide stock materials to size.
Behind the premises can be seen the old Northampton-Peterborough rail bridge in position over a small waterway which links the Nene with the old Thrapston Wharf.
An evening playing with trains at Wicksteed Park, Kettering.
A driver explains the controls and drive system of one of the small locos.
There are many old metal advertising signs on display at the station; this is part of the sign for Colman's mustard.
A pleasant day was spent with the staff of the Chasewater Railway Museum and railway. A behind the scenes tour in the morning was followed by a train ride and then a walk to look at what remains of the coal industry that once occupied this area.
Tank engine No 2 has just been stoked prior to departure.
Remains of one of the Anglesey tipping docks for loading barges on the canal from the railway.
The level of the reservoir had been lowered to effect repairs to the dam causeway allowing views of the [under] water passage ways and control measures.
An evening was spent exploring the railway lines and sites of former ironstone quarrying in the vicinity of Glendon Junction.
Here the Kettering to Manton line diverges from the Kettering to Leicester line separated by exposed strata of iron ore.
This sign was seen on the bridge over the Manton line near the site of the Glendon East sidings.
Across the road in Mission House lived John Turner Stockburn. He started a stay-making business and installed the first sewing machines in Kettering.
Nearby was Elworthy's malting business with its distinctive chimney.
When Gotch's business failed, at least five of the shoemakers set up their own businesses. Here we see the remains of the Meadows and Bryan factory. The foundations of the building could be made out.
Interesting buildings seen overlooking the River Arun at Littlehampton during the annual railtour.
The elegant building belonging to The Dubarry Perfumery Company Ltd seen from Hove station.
Inside Brighton's train shed at the start of the homeward journey.